If you scheduled foundation repair for your home, it’s important to learn some common foundation repair terminology. Here is a basic overview of common repair vocabulary to help you stay in the loop during the foundation repair process.
- Bearing Capacity: The bearing capacity of soil is the amount of pressure it can withstand before it begins to collapse or crumble. When foundations fail, it can be because factors limit the bearing capacity of the soil beneath it, causing it to sink or settle.
- Clay: Clay is a mixture of soil, sand, and other minerals and is commonly found throughout the Dallas area. Clay is known for causing foundation problems because of its expansive properties.
- French Drain: French drains are a type of drainage system that provides permeable channels for water to flow through. Water that enters the drain is unable to escape and can be carried away to another predetermined location.
- Mudjacking: Mudjacking is a foundation repair technique that uses concrete to lift and support a foundation. Concrete mud is injected into an area below the failing foundation, which lifts the damaged foundation and stabilizes it.
- Pier or Pile: Piers and piles are beams used in foundation construction and repair. They are inserted deep underground until they can no longer move and are then used to support the foundation.
- Point of Refusal: When piers and piles are installed, they are forced or drilled into the ground until the density of the soil below them is too high to penetrate. The point where the pier or pile cannot be forced further into the ground is the point of refusal.
- Subsurface Moisture: Moisture below the ground level is known as subsurface moisture. This water can originate from several locations, including the water table, underground springs or aquifers, or nearby drainage systems.
For expert foundation repair services, contact Structured Foundation Repair, Inc. We serve the entire Dallas-Fort Worth area with high-quality foundation repair, drainage correction, and much more. Call 972-375-9965 today.